Thursday, April 26, 2007

My parents have recently taken to say, "As long as you're happy", and I always have to smirk a little because it's not like they ever ask whether I'm happy or not.

Like in that movie:

"We're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you."
"But I'm not laughing."

I think it was a Todd Solondz film. (I think it actually may have been "Happiness"!)

I ask myself about my own happiness, and I like to answer myself (not in public) that happiness just isn't part of the equation. There are all these elements and factors in my life, but none of them are in furtherance of happiness, I tell myself.

Am I happy? Irrelevant, it doesn't matter. Do I want to be happy? Irrelevant, I don't care. How about unhappiness, am I not unhappy? Am I unhappy?

Why are those harder to answer? Why is it harder to not say "yes" or "no"?

If the answers to the unhappiness questions aren't the same as the happiness questions, then happiness is still an issue.

If the idea of unhappiness is still somewhere bouncing around in the works, then it's bouncing around some idea of happiness. So unless I can definitively answer the questions about unhappiness and declare that unhappiness is also irrelevant, then I still want to be happy.

So, do I want to be happy?

Eh, either way, I can take it or leave it.

Doh!

5:58 p.m. - Shots from my new apartment window. I like to focus on the wings and the aerodynamics. Birds are just so lovely in flight. Not so much in temperament or when they poop on you.
TUESDAY, APRIL 24 - This is also from my new apartment window, telephoto zoom. Maybe they were having an issue with their motorscooter on the bridge that turns into Beixin Road? Pentax ZX-5n, Kodak BW400CN.