Saturday, August 11, 2007

Got a message from my brother this morning:

"I don't know if anybody has contacted you yet - so I just wanted to make sure that you were in the loop. A few days ago, dad was diagnosed with a mass in his left kidney (he had blood in his urine). We don't know yet what it is, but it is most likely kidney cancer. He is going to see a oncologic urologist (a urinary system surgeon who specializes in resecting tumors) in the near future, but the standard approach to this situation would be surgery to remove the kidney to see what exactly the tumor is and to help assess how advanced it is. Unfortunately, at this point I have no idea what the prognosis is - could range from pretty good to fairly bad. I'll keep you up to date on what is going on as we get more information."

My relationship with my family isn't as bad as it used to be, but some things don't change unless there is a concerted effort on all parties for change. And just as my parents never had the right to be proud of things I've done, in particular musical achievements, I have no right to assume whatever feelings come out of getting news like this.

The feelings came up, but then I told myself I hadn't earned the right to feel them. Just as they never earned the right to know about anything I did with music, but I've written about that before.

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8, 5:39 p.m. - Rainbow over Taida sports complex. Actually a double rainbow and extra saturation needed to bring it out.
Pentax ZX-5n, Ilford XP2 Super. These photo files are marked "rf", which I think means they are my first use of a red filter. Usually I always have yellow filters on my lenses to darken skies. Red is even more dramatic, but is too dark to keep on all the time. I think you lose almost a stop of light entering the lens, so only for when it's bright outside with plenty of blue sky. I don't think I regularly noted its use after this roll.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 9 - Pavilion in an artificial lake in 2/28 Peace Park in the old city part of Taipei. 
Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall before the name change.