Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I don't know why I splurged on the iPod Shuffle after weeks of admiring it in the store counter. Something just snapped. But I can't tell you how cute the iPod Shuffle is. It's not perfect, it's not for everyone, so people criticizing it can just say it's not the kind of player that meets their needs and shut up. The voiceover feature is cool and cute, but not perfect. The sound clarity isn't great. 764-HERO is announced as "seven hundred and sixty-four hero" and I don't even want to guess what it was trying to say for Aereogramme. But how would it know? The Mandarin is good as far as I can tell.

I went on my second run and I need a new pair of running shoes. I got the ones I have now because they were really light, but that means not enough padding. They're good for sprints. And I am going to get a new pair of running shoes. If I have the cash, I'm going to spend it. I can't possibly go on living much longer despite having passed my second health check to get my Taiwan ID card. I don't even care if I'm spending beyond my monthly means now that I'm working again. I just don't care. I can't possibly live much longer. Although I don't know why my life consists of these opposite self-destructive parts (drinking, negativity) and healthy parts (exercise, mindfulness).

I'm supposed to get my ID card on Friday. I'm taking the all-night bus to Kaohsiung again after work Thursday. Work is going to start seriously hurting due to lack of copy editors, and I'm not going to do a thing to fill in the void. And my three-week vacation starting in mid-June is non-negotiable. If the other guy gets stuck, it's not my problem. I consider him the senior copy editor, so he's got the responsibility.

I don't know why I'm still awake. I'm going to see the early show of "Star Trek" tomorrow, my day off. If insomnia wakes me up, I'll go to the early show. If I get a full sleep, I can't complain about that and I'll go to an afternoon show.

Does anyone remember my idea for a new Star Trek TV series several years ago? The idea was to start shooting new original series episodes with a new cast. The original series is so iconic, but it's dragged down by its campiness and antiquated technology. So the idea was to reinvent the series, updating the technology so it fits with the technological timeline of later series, and releasing the characters' association with those specific actors. The new movie is not quite that idea, but I'm glad something on those lines got picked up.
WordsCharactersReading time