Saturday, October 10, 2009

In my mind I'm saying my goodbyes. I'm mentally resigning myself that I already saw family members for the last time when I visited over the Summer. Since then I haven't heard from them anyway. My mother has called a few times, but that's about it. I've been ignoring all contact from extended family in Kaohsiung.

Notice is out.

The first wave of resignations at work has begun. Anna had her last day. Sweet girl. We never went deep, never had a substantial connection, but I think we enjoyed working with each other well enough. Still, it's the last time I'll see her.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 9, 12:20 a.m. - Farewell Anna.
I think Frances is next. Her English was excellent and she came to me with several problems that we talked through after work several times – one with her family, another with her girlfriend – so we connected substantially. Our sessions made me realize that doing the counseling thing is probably what I do best, so if I wasn't so self-absorbed and really wanted to do good and make an impact, I should enter the monastery. But I still don't see it in my future, even though I have ten more years until the cut off age.

Han and Rosanne have given their notice and will be gone at the end of the month. Han's English is so good that I talk to him like a native speaker, and only once in a while he trips up on something obscure that I'm reminded English is his second language. And just because his English is so good, he's a major social point for me at work.

Rosanne is a writer of local news so I don't have a whole lot of contact, but I've always liked her because she seems very genuine.

All goodbyes, but truth to tell, I don't remember any hellos.

My disappearance will have little to do with any of them, neither those who are leaving nor those who are staying.

My co-copy editor also has expressed he is near his breaking point, and as soon as he gives notice, I'll give notice. I won't put up with any of what he's put up with. Oh, which is the new boss who came on earlier this year. Anyone who has to deal with him can't stand him, which is why I'm fine with him – he avoids me at all costs for some reason. He has no idea that he's the reason why people are leaving.

Once I quit, I'm not going to drift like I did before. Jobless and idle in my apartment is not an attractive option – not an option. So very soon after I'm out of the job, it'll be time to move on.

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 7 - Nikon N70, Kodak BW400CN. Bottom pic ISO 200.