Saturday, October 24, 2009

OK, I'm trying to cut down. But why? Believe it or not, I don't like to feel bad, and this level of drinking is starting to get to that point. Or I've been at that point for a bit and I'm just coming out of denial. 

It's not because I'm panicking about my health keeling over and capsizing, although the thought did occur to me. It's only human. If I've already gone too far, then why not pull back and go out not feeling bad. If I'm not past the point of no return, then I'm just keeping my options open. 

The danger point for me is that first drink. If I lay off the sauce, eventually feeling sober starts feeling normal and even the appeal of the first drink goes down considerably. But then once I have that first drink, it's all downhill. 

Still, with this campaign, I'm pretty sure I can cut back at least a little; not buying a bottle every other day, but maybe every 2 or even 3 days. 

I should probably explore that danger point, though. If I last long enough to get to the point where I'm OK not having a drink, then what is it that leads to that first drink? hmm. 

Mind you, I'm not trying to quit. Whether I have a problem or not is irrelevant and I don't really care. Just exploring what's going on.