Monday, June 17, 2002

No, I didn't call my father for father's day for the same reason I didn't call my mother on mother's day. But at least they didn't call to try to lay a guilt trip on me. But since they didn't, I'm not sure I have a compunction to call them tomorrow. OK, I just should, it's a no-brainer, right?

I was thinking this morning about their philosophy on raising kids that "money = love". I've always held that equation as untenable. Money can run out. Does that mean your love can run out? Obviously yes. On the other hand, they've always made sure that they had the money to express their "love". Maybe that was conscious.

They have a ton of money that they're not spending, and they are getting on in age and still making money. What are they doing with all this money? In general money does not equal love, but maybe they thought it through well enough that they can maintain it. I wouldn't put it past them. But that is also to say that they decided long ago that they would never say "I love you" to their kids.

I don't know what it or I would be like if they ever said "I love you", but . . . all things equal, I guess I'll take the money. Even though it's certainly not how I would want to raise children. Not that that's anywhere in the plan.

current soundtrack: Kina Shoukichi & Champloose - "Niraikanai Paradise"