Friday, June 07, 2002

Upon more reflection: What happened?
I was supposed to talk to boss-lady with an eye on gauging my worth and giving notice because the aggravation and frustration was too much if my worth wasn't high enough.

We talked in general terms, which was my fault because I led into it with my unproductivity and poor work-product caused by lack of motivation and morale, basically leaving the sky wide open for her. She did talk about the Ms. Case Manager point of contention without any prompt on my part. And what she said gelled with my experience with her today - that she is still human; something that I've been minimizing in order to maximize the resentment as an excuse to quit.

We talked about a lot of things, but in retrospect, I think she was flying by the seat of her pants, modifying her part of the conversation to fit me and push my buttons. She was manipulating me. That's why she's such a great manager. She treats me differently than Eric and Joyce. She treated us all differently from each other because she was able to figure out what motivates us. She let me do my own thing and figure out my own mistakes because she knew that would make me strive to do better. With someone else who needs to be told what to do, she would figure it out and tell them what to do.

But I did get out of our talk what I wanted to get. She addressed the possibility of me leaving, she didn't assume that I was staying, and merely asked that if I give notice, to give her a month instead of two weeks. And she got what she wanted, too. That I was reluctant to leave. And if she played the situation right, I wouldn't.

Maybe I'm giving her too much credit. We'll see as the month progresses. I do want to leave, but not for reasons she knows. She talked about planning ahead, about having a plan, about putting money aside in 401K's because you'd be surprised how far they go if you play them wisely, about the significance of planning ahead when you're 50 or 60.

I'm not about to tell her I'm looking no further than 34.