Tuesday, December 03, 2002

I'm sick. I've never had one before, but this sure feels like it might accurately be called a bronchial infection. I spent half the night coughing myself awake, woke up with my alarm just to call in sick and then slept until after 1:00 again. My mother used to clear-cut rainforests in a previous life. 

My parents, this is a dream, folks, had rented a vacation house somewhere in upstate New York, and we had all just arrived and we were cleaning it and the yard up. For some reason there was one of those big yellow Cat construction thingies . . . a backhoe, I think, and my mother got in it and went to work with it. It didn't occur to me to wonder how my mother knew how to operate one of those things. Of course, this is a dream, folks. Not before long, it started raining so we stopped, and me and one of my brothers were horrified to see that she had been stripping the trees of their branches, some halfway up the lengths of their trunks! We made her stop and began lecturing her about what she was doing, she was quietly indignant, but stopped. As it rained, they went under a tree for cover, I ran inside. 

I don't recommend lying awake all night sick if you can avoid it. Especially if your thoughts inevitably wander to how much your life has sucked and what a rotten person you've been and what a waste you've made of your life.
     
I do this thing where I think I'm real sick 
But I won't go to the doctor to find out about it 
Cause they make you stay real still in a real small space 
As they chart up your insides and put them on display 
They'd see all of it, all of me, all of it 
All of the good that won't come out of me 
And all the stupid lies I hide behind 
It's such a big mistake, lying here in your warm embrace 
"The Good That Won't Come Out" (Rilo Kiley)