Saturday, September 02, 2006

OK, it's official, I hate Taipei.

Weather was perfectly fine all morning, and has been for the past few days. Today I planned to get on the 235 bus, ride about an hour out to XinZhuang, and explore out there on foot and do some shooting.

XinZhuang is where I bought my latest bicycle. I didn't realize how far away it was, or I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I'm glad I did because the bike is really good, and it was really cheap. That time I took the 299 bus. It's two or three towns west of Taipei, across the Danshuei River, and I've been wanting to get around beyond the Taipei borders, even though it all looks the same, really.

After that excursion, I started noticing the 235 bus which goes down my street and has XinZhuang as its destination, so I've been wanting to hop on it and see where it goes in XinZhuang. I have a really good sense of direction, and I wanted to test it out, see how much I remember.

Also, for some reason, the 235 comes really often. It's been intriguing. What's so important about this line that there are so many buses running it?

Anyway, so I rode out an hour to Xinzhuang, taking the 235 all the way to the end. With a good idea where I was and which direction to go to be able to get back on the 235 home, I stopped into a 7-11 because I hadn't eaten anything. While I'm in there, it's starts raining. Then it starts pouring.

I decided that killed my shooting day, put away my camera, pulled out my umbrella (always carry an umbrella in Taipei), and trudged my way in the rain to find the 235 line again. Before the bus is even out of XinZhuang, the rain stops. Momentum gone, I was already on the bus, I just wasted my afternoon because of Taipei's stupid weather.

So that's the last straw, Taipei is not my city, I will not stay here. I might leave after this term to transfer to Kaohsiung, or if it looks like Hyun Ae will only stay in Taipei until next February, I'll stick it out until then so we can leave Taipei at the same time. After all, she said she doesn't want me to transfer to Kaohsiung, and I know if she left, I would be sad, so why not we plan on leaving at the same time.

Oh, in Kaohsiung she dropped the bombshell that she wanted to break up with her boyfriend. Doesn't mean anything. It was just a fact that garnered support.

12:32 p.m. - City landscapers at work in Da'an Park.
Pentax ZX-5n, Kodak BW400CN. The only worthy shots I got off before abandoning the day:

Xinzhuang
iTunes soundtrack:
1. All My Love (Led Zeppelin)
2. Sorry I Am (live) (Ani DiFranco)
3. Pharoah Story ("Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat")
4. Back On Me (Urge Overkill)
5. Dose of Thunder (The Replacements)
6. Sunny Side to Every Situation ("42nd Street")
7. I'm Not Down (The Clash)
8. Sorry-Grateful ("Company" - Sondheim)
9. Battered Old Bird (Elvis Costello & the Attractions)
10. City of Dreams (Talking Heads)