Thursday, October 28, 2004

I sent out a change of email address email last week. Most of the people on the list probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't informed them, but there were some surprises.

Most notably, Pasha happens to be in the U.S. and will be in New York on Thursday. I'll do what I can to meet up with him, although it being the day before I leave, it may not be wise. Pasha was one of my best friends in college and we fell out of touch for 8 or 9 years. His memory is incredible, but his information on me is outdated. He still thinks I can't stand my parents, and that's just a completely different reality now.

Madoka and I shot several short emails back and forth, maybe more than we have over the entire past year; certainly more substance. Our relationship has changed and I don't think we're special to each other anymore and that's settling in as the new norm.

Before, we always addressed each other in emails, always signed our emails, and always preceded the signature with an affectionate. It might seem formal, but I did it because she was exceptionally special. It was letter-like, and letters will always be superior to email.

I don't know why she did it, and maybe she did it with everyone. For me, it didn't feel appropriate anymore, so eventually I didn't bother with any of those conventions and sent her quick and easy responses, no addressing, no signature, no affectionate. Who knows? It might improve our relationship, but I doubt it. There's not much left to improve at this point. And it's fine as is.