Saturday, August 19, 2006

I read Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind every once in a while. Every time I read it, it feels like I've never read it before; that I'm reading a completely different book.

I think that's the nature of reading Dharma Talks by accomplished teachers and practitioners. It's different from reading people's blog entries, purportedly expounding on the dharma. Those are mostly ego driven; that they've got something and they need to share it. Good intentioned. Past entries of my own included.

Suzuki's text is so sublime and multi-faceted that every time I read it, I get something new out of it. What I get out of it might move my practice forward a little and allows me to get a little more out of it the next time I read it.

It's brilliant, it's all there. But in my practice, I'm still piecing it together.