Sunday, August 13, 2006

Kaohsiung Aug. 11-13

FRIDAY, AUGUST 11 - Taichung, Taiwan. Rest stop on the bus ride to Kaohsiung. About a five and a half hour trip. Pentax ZX-5n, Ilford XP2 Super. CD-R.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 12 - Kaohsiung, I think this is from the 7th fl. of my uncle's building where I stay when I visit. This would be looking southeast since the silhouette of the 85 Robot Building is just visible. CD-R.
10:01-10:14 a.m. - National Kaohsiung Normal University. I told my aunt and uncle I was thinking of moving to Kaohsiung to continue my language studies and they took me to Kaohsiung's equivalent of Shida (whose official name is National Taiwan Normal University) to inquire about their Mandarin language program. 
10:29 a.m. - Bridge on Wufu Rd. crossing the Love River to my uncle's neighborhood. Advertising genius on display. They used the contour of the building for the art!
More rooftops from another uncle's home just down the street. This uncle inherited the "family home" and it's a three-generation household with one of my cousin's family living there. There still are neighborhoods like this that were built not in straight lines and easy views of neighbors' homes. Both CD-R.
Old family photo album. I forget who they told me they are. Scan.
2:10 p.m. - Digital shot of a black and white photo of my grandparents' family. My mother with her two brothers to her left and two half-brothers (from grandfather's previous wife) to her right.
My cousin's family. Which reminds me . . . 
January 5, 1997 - I happened to be visiting Kaohsiung when they got married and shot this portrait of the newlyweds. I'm so happy nine years later they are doing well and raising two great kids. Both scans. I'm guessing the older shot was taken with my Pentax K2 (Ilford XP2) because a web search indicates the ZX-5n came out in 1997, but probably not in the first 5 days.
Afternoon photostroll around my uncle's neighborhood (Yancheng District) and along the Love River. The first two are scans, the rest are from the photo shop CD-R. The difference in sharpness is becoming more and more apparent to me. No borders around the above pic because the photo's rotation had to be corrected (one of my legs is shorter than the other?!) and borders cropped out.





5:57 p.m. - Outside my uncle's building down the road that leads west to Shoushan Mt. and temporary concrete paving indicating Kaohsiung MRT construction below.
10:17 p.m. - Liuhe Night Market, probably Kaohsiung's most famous tourist night market.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 13, 10:17 a.m. - A Kaohsiung morning market. 
Outside my uncle's building down the road north where the Kaohsiung MRT station is being built.