Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Fuck me, Taiwan.

I got the keys to my new apartment today. I'm excited about moving and living in a different part of Taipei, even if it's actually Hsindian City. There was a dead rat in the room.

The smell was apparent as soon as I walked in the outer hallway, but it was unclear what it was or where it was coming from. It was that foul, dank, stale smell. When we walked into the room, I spotted the dead rat pretty quickly. My landlady was apologetic and disposed of it herself, and in the end she called someone to come tomorrow to clean up the area to make sure it's disinfected before I move in.

I feel sorry for the other residents who had to deal with the smell for however long.

I have to move because of allergies in my first apartment. There was a dead rat in my second apartment. This is my life, folks. I'm trying to keep it in perspective, reminding myself my life is pretty good. I played it off cool to the landlady. It wasn't her fault, it wasn't in her control, these things happen. I'm not queasy about death, or dead animals, or cockroaches, I'm actually pretty tolerant and can roll with a lot of punches.

But more and more I think I need to realize that is not the point! There was a dead rat in the room I'm moving into. This means something, yo.

10:44 a.m. - The entrance to the riverside bikeway is right there after crossing the bridge across the Jingmei River into Taipei.
10:53 a.m. - Navigating the optimal way to ride to school. Getting off the bikeway at Treasure Hill may be the best way to get to the Taida campus. Not even two miles.