Tuesday, January 02, 2007

At the forefront of my thoughts these days is packing up and heading back to New Jersey. Here we go again.

But it's not real.

But I'm not learning the language and the frustration of being here is huge. Is that not real?

The final nail in the coffin is probably these allergies that have not subsided with the air purifier. At its worst, it'll knock me out for the entire day, even if I get out of the apartment. I think the word is "debilitating".

In the apartment, I sweep every day, wear a mask, even while sleeping, run the purifier all the time, sometimes turning on the air conditioner and opening the windows for even more circulation, as if it isn't cold enough in Taipei. Well, to keep it in perspective, albeit uncomfortable and chilly, it's possible to open windows and turn on the air conditioner and be able to stand it.

I've resorted to eating more fruit and allowing myself to eat more red meat to see if that alteration to my diet can change something. That's a new low for me. The inspiration for the fruit is my mother always nagging me to eat more fruit. The red meat is from my chiropractor who once told me I needed specifically more red meat in my diet. Nothing to do with allergies, though.

This is absolutely my last month in this apartment. I absolutely can't live here any longer because of the allergies. If I move, I'm basically committing to stay here even longer, and I'm asking myself if it's time to cut my losses, if it's time to move on.

The momentum is growing to decide by the end of this month to quit classes, start packing up, and get out of Dodge before my visa expires on the 18th of next month.

I keep counting my blessings whenever shit gets miserable. I'm getting sick of even that. "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But people who never win and never quit are idiots!" - Demotivators.

Guanyin Mt. in Bali township across the mouth of the Danshui River, shrouded in low-hanging clouds. Or just "Smoke on the Water".
MONDAY, JANUARY 1 - New Year's Day in Danshui. All Nikon N70, Ilford XP2 Super. 
Giant cement jacks, possibly a Japanese innovation but don't quote me on that, to protect shorelines or prevent erosion.
This area is called Fisherman's Wharf at the very tip of the right bank of Danshui River which drains into the Taiwan Strait.
Low tide?



1:27 p.m. - Aftermath. Peaceful afternoon photostroll at the beach on New Year's Day is not to forget it's New Year's Day.
1:44 p.m.