Sunday, January 14, 2007

I'm questioning any decision to go back to the U.S.

I think my excuses are suspect. I'm focusing on my current teacher as the leading suspect of why I want to go back, and as sweet as she is, and as pleasant a person she might seem to be, I've decided she's a horrible teacher; hate her as a teacher.

I had lined up my reasons for going back as a combination of three: 1) no improvement in Chinese; 2) no good teachers; and 3) allergies.

First of all, since when do I care whether my Chinese is improving or not? Didn't I declare some time ago that learning this language is not really why I'm here, and is not my priority? I mean, aside from it being the most important thing in the world from a spiritual aspect, really can't let myself care.

And if the allergies can be cured by moving . . .

All I have to do is get to the end of this term, scrape by at the edge of my tolerance and patience. I heard that many of the regular Taida teachers took this term off and there weren't enough teachers, and that's why my teacher got called in. She's not really a teacher, she's a grad student who said she'd be willing to teach if they needed her.

Nikon N70, Ilford XP2 Super, all shot at ISO 800:
Beitou Park
Beitou is famous for its hot springs. The waters of the stream that runs through Beitou Park are still warm from the hot springs.

Location unknown. Everyone stares at car crashes.