Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Here’s another one of those suicide note responses, edited for grammar, syntax, and spelling, so that the author sounds minimally educated, and the gist of it, because, sweet Jesus in an Easter basket, how these people ramble:

Date: 2003-09-25, 10:36AM
What exactly is the problem? Is this really the answer? Seriously, think about it. I don't think it can be that bad. Whatever it is, you have a job, you sound like you have a decent life, you have a computer at home since you're not at work today, and you have a home, so you're not homeless. You sound like an educated man judging from how you wrote your post.

Only you can help yourself. Why don't you pray for strength and hope? That's what you need right now. I just really think other people have it worse, but are simply stronger than you. Think about it. Go back to work tomorrow and try to see things from a more positive perspective. Try to sniff the air while you're driving and imagine people who are in coma who can barely breathe. Look at the blue sky, your surroundings and think about the blind people who would want to trade places with you. As you get out of your car and walk towards your work, think about the people in wheelchairs who can't even drive let alone walk. I could go on and on but you get my point, right? Try to live your life to the fullest. Let God decide when it will end. In the meantime, work on appreciating what you have that other people don’t.

Take care. I'll pray for you whoever you are. All I'd like to do is share my thoughts on this and just hope that my advice will be taken into consideration.


Basically, "don't kill yourself because you've got it pretty good, and other people have it worse than you". This writer is unable to put him/herself (I will alternate gender pronouns) into the suicide's shoes, and makes what are probably irrelevant assumptions and suggestions. As nice of sentiments they are, he simplifies the suicide's issues into a matter of perspective. He implores the suicide to consider a perspective that he presumably already has rejected. I think only the most superficial of suicides would be turned by this response.

For me, none of what the writer brings up is new or relevant. It seems a strange assumption that I wouldn't have considered those things, that I don't experience those things, the little things, the life things, perhaps more vividly day to day, rather than ignoring them or taking them for granted.

Strength and hope aren't issues either. Those are relative constructs anyway. From my view, staying is the copout. It's easy to stay, easy to just live my life in the material bliss I've been blessed with. Each period of my life I continue living feels like I'm failing or betraying something. Yet I'm still here because . . . I don't know, moths are equally attracted to the full moon as they are to candle flames.

It's the same with "hope". Maybe hope would be an issue if I was anguishing in despair, but that narrow, linear concept of hope within the specific, constrained matrix of phenomenal reality and living normative life is not part of my equations.