Wednesday, September 17, 2003

A lot of the Tibetan Book of Natural Liberation Through Understanding in the Between has been resonating. It certainly hasn't been resonating negatively as being wrong or offensive to my pre-existing/primordial belief. You can't make shit like that up – that's one of the bases for my accepting it.

I've had my own imaginings on death. Once while in a Summer class on the top floor of Mudd Library at Oberlin, I thought it would be funny if someone walked in and interrupted, saying, "I'm sorry, something went terribly wrong with the library ventilation system, and you all died. You're dead." Dying without even knowing it, but then it soon becomes clear that we've left our bodies and the living can't see us anymore. Yea, that was my sense of humor way back then.

I still like to think that we remain in a non-corporeal form for a little while, but stripped of human judgments, feelings, and sentimentality, and in that stage we can touch upon or reflect upon our lives in a way that closes things out. We can "visit" the people who meant something to us, wherever they are, just see, touch, and go.

I also to some degree also believe in the "life flashing before our eyes" and the dark tunnel and the light, because so many near-death accounts include those.

But then I don't think there is one all-encompassing death experience either. I do believe in ghosthood for individuals who have received such psychic trauma that they can't move beyond this lifetime (i.e., they never make it to the clear-light reality between) until something resolves. Those individuals also have not accumulated enough bad karma to descend to the so-called "lower realms" of existence, which I vaguely accept.

I don't believe in karma as a moral system, or karma as punitive for bad action, thought, and words, or rewarding to good action, thought, and words. It is simply the law of cause and effect, and the "good" and "bad" effect for a given karma-creating causal event is interpretive. Ordinary humans can't understand karma enough to control it consciously or intentionally, but must be mindful of it, those who believe in it at least. There are different kinds or wheels of karma, too.

There are different kinds of death, too. I think infant deaths, violent deaths, suicides, and natural deaths are all qualitatively different, and those qualities all have some effect on navigating the between, but none of those qualities are dispositive as to the success or failure of navigating it to liberation.

Plugging in my own beliefs with this text on the betweens and vice versa.