Wednesday, September 03, 2003

I went to Beale St. tonight, but I think I'm going to try to stop going. The drinking is not a big deal. My constant drinking has fallen off lately, so I consider the occasional round of beers with chums harmless. I also decided to stop buying alcohol, so although I'm allowing myself to finish off what I have in my apartment, I'm not replenishing my stock. The constant drinking while at home is over.

I still have some top shelf stuff that I'll sip through (you don't shoot the good stuff), and a bunch of liqueurs and a single bottle of wine. People rarely notice any difference between me drunk and not drunk. The key indicator has been smell, and not behavior.

And quite honestly, I haven't noticed much difference either, except that I spend a lot of time reading these days, and I can't concentrate on reading when I'm drinking. Before long, no one will even know how much I used to drink. Fortunately, I've never thought of being "alcoholic" as part of my identity, so no loss there if nobody acknowledges the loss.

But I also want to stop going to Beale St. because I can't seem to stop letting people annoy the hell out of me. It's a character flaw. It's not everyone, hell, it's not even a majority, but it's just one or two people who might momentarily bring out a part of me that I don't like. I'm still negative at the core, and when negativity is thrown at me, I resonate negative.

Aside from not solving anything, abandoning the Beale St. crowd is problematic because they are the only social group I have left!


Reflections in the pool at Yerba Buena Gardens.