Saturday, December 27, 2003

So I kinda mentioned in passing that the historical Jesus's birth date was not on December 25; a risky bit, as hardcore Christians and Born Agains tend to get their panties and jocks all up in a bunch with any suggestion that anything about Christianity is less than historical, actual, and universal fact.

I mean, really, think about it – all these kids are raised believing that the holiday season is a special time of year, that the sentimentality and mood of the season is connected to this great historic chain of events that led to angels proclaiming the birth of our Saviour and King, and December 25 was the big day, away in a snow-covered manger somewhere out in rural New Jersey (or at least that's where it was in my memory). And now these revisionists are trying to revise the revisions that are the source of our most cherished childhood memories!

We won't have none of that.

But that's not my point.

I don't care for debunking Christianity. A) Other people do it better; B) it isn't going to change 2000 years of Christian history and its impact on the world (negative impact, that is, no one would be trying to debunk it if it weren't for the negative impact); and C) it's counter-productive in discrediting many great teachings in Christianity.

Well, for what it's worth, I found this, searching for something else, about the relationship between the Winter Solstice and Christmas. Of course, anyone can post anything on the internet, and that page includes no sources of corroborating information, so take it or leave it.

But that's basically what I heard, too, so when it comes to Christmas celebrating Jesus's birthday, I have trouble getting into it. I can celebrate friends celebrating the holiday, or Christian culture celebrating what they call Jesus's birthday, but I can't personally celebrate Christmas on the grounds it was the day Jesus was born.