Sunday, July 03, 2005

Northern Exposure Quote of the Day: Let me just say that I have more important things on my mind than carnal, erotic pleasures. I do. Now granted Chris might be a stud, but I am not some cow in heat waiting to get poked by the lankiest bull in the pasture. - Maggie

The truly suicidal do not go out and buy the Third Season of Northern Exposure as soon as it comes out on DVD. I am just wallowing in the wonderment of this old TV series. It’s pretty sad, I must say, when your last refuge of feelings is in DVDs.

I realized yesterday that my feelings can't be verbalized. I can't talk about my feelings, no one can verbally fish for them and expect to get a picture anywhere near accurate. My feelings only come to me in bits and glimpses of images that pop into my mind. Tears can well up in my eyes, but they dry before they fall at the risk of me bashing myself in the eyes with a baseball bat.

I can point to a scene on a DVD, a movie, a TV show, and say, 'yea, that's the feeling. That's it'. Chris Stevens is giving off pheromones that allows him to have his pick of any woman in the small town of Cicely, Alaska, but he has eyes only for one woman – the itinerant eye doctor who isn't affected or attracted at all. The last scene, at night, the eye doctor is driving off in her RV for the next town. Chris, a DJ, sends his final musings over the airwaves as he watches her leave from the DJ booth. He steps out onto the front steps in the warm Alaskan summer night, and sits on the stoop with a beer in hand, the neon lights of the radio station softly glowing. Now that's what heaven feels like.

I can't believe how much I love this show.