Saturday, July 09, 2005

Northern Exposure Quote of the Day:
Maggie: She's suffered an appalling tragedy and in her despair and her darkest hour of life, she comes to you, knowing how much resistance she's going to meet, knowing that in all likelihood she's going to have to bear the brunt of your suppressed rage. Still she comes to see you, Joel Fleischman, that's how important you are to her. She's reaching out, Fleischman, for a familiar shoulder for compassion. Just let her know she still has a friend. Be a mansch.
Joel: I believe the word you're looking for is "mensch".

It’s still sinking in that I got rejected from the one monastic system that simply does not reject people from becoming aspirants unless they are clearly unfit for it. In general, if someone asks to be an aspirant and demonstrates an ability to live in harmony with the community, they’re in. But I didn’t ask to be an aspirant in my letter.

In retrospect, it occurs to me how incredibly clever my letter was to perpetuate my own karma. My letter was the paper embodiment of how I live my life. I don’t make decisions about my life. I put indirect factors in motion and then let fate decide the main issue. If that doesn’t work, I wait until the last moment and flip a coin.

I cleverly worded my letter so that it was up to the monks to decide whether I was an aspirant or not. I made it a matter of interpretation. Although in principle the monks will never make that decision – it has to come from the aspirant – they could have read the letter and seen that I clearly considered myself an aspirant. They could have said they weren’t making a decision for me, it’s on the face of the letter that I see myself as an aspirant . . . man, I’m fucking brilliant.

And I was ambivalent when I wrote the letter, I remember writing it and being ambivalent. What’s so fucking genius about the letter is that I can go back to the letter now and be outraged that they rejected it when clearly it could have been interpreted that I wanted to be an aspirant.

It’s not just the letter, though. Their lack of communication and the role of my so-called mentor also contributed. He did not act as an effective liaison between me and the community. He didn’t try to get me to my true heart and expression of it, so he couldn’t understand me or my position and communicate it to the community.

He also did a poor job at communicating to me the thoughts, feelings, and reservations of the community, or offer any guidance of any sort so that any issues could be resolved with mutual understanding.

It’s all my karma. It’s perfect. Incredible. I take full responsibility for it, and nothing that happens to me hereafter should be attributed to what the monks did or didn’t do. Psychologically speaking, it has nothing to do with karma, and I manipulated all the conditions to have a high probability of turning out this way.