Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I watched a documentary tonight that I read an article about. The whole suicide debate out there is just so tired, there's little about it I find compelling anymore.

This documentary was particularly uncompelling. There wasn't anything about Bob Stern that was inspiring, nor was there anything to be particularly sympathetic about. Compassionate about his illness, yes, sympathetic towards his family, yes, but everyone ages, and illness is not an uncommon part of the aging process.

He didn't overcome overwhelming odds, he didn't fight valiantly to make his decision, he just made a cold, hard, calculated decision. He didn't show any emotion, nor much sympathy or consideration to the people who would be affected. I didn't see how his story advances any understanding about suicide.

I think he was selfish, but he had the right to be because we all do, and we all are – anyone who condemns him for being selfish is being selfish. I'm not faulting him for that. I just fail to understand why the coldness of his decision warrants giving his story a public spotlight.

His suicide wasn't riding any right to die platform, that was just a tributary undercurrent to his own personal decision. I love the quote from the article: "In my 30 years of research, I've never seen a rational suicide," said Dr. Donna Cohen, newly elected president of the American Association of Suicidology. Maybe you really can't see what you don't believe exists.

I can't believe they made an American Association of "suicidology". I can't believe they made up the word "suicidology".

The bottom line for me is that people commit suicide, get over it and move on already. If you did all you could to prevent one, good for you, by definition there was nothing else that you could have done. If you didn't do all you could have done, then, I dunno, think about it. Meditate on it. Become a Buddhist, what the fuck ever, just stop being stupid about it and shut up already.