Saturday, October 14, 2006

Englewood Cliffs, NJ
My sister-in-law's older sister was scheduled for surgery a little later on and so the family headed to a Buddhist temple they knew of in upstate New York to offer prayers and receive blessings or whatever in hopes of a successful surgery. I got invited along because they knew I had been considering entering a monastery and thought I'd be interested.

8:41 a.m. - West Side Highway, New York. I was tasked with driving into Manhattan to pick up Peggy. At least it was called the West Side Highway when I was growing up. The name may have changed when they took down the elevated parts.
9:49 a.m. - George Washington Bridge from my brother's condo.
11:42 a.m. - Palisades Parkway. Very important part of my high school years, at least after I got my driver's license.
11:49 a.m. - Bear Mountain Bridge at the north end of the Palisades Parkway crossing the Hudson River.
12:32 p.m. - Chuang Yen temple and monastery, near Carmel, NY.
12:38 p.m. - Statues of the 18 Arhants rings a bell, but don't quote me.
12:44 p.m.
2:15 p.m.
2:53 p.m. - Autumn colors, the difference within one minute when the clouds part for the sun. Also note how different the leaves are from the Palisades Parkway in New Jersey some 50 miles south.