Friday, December 29, 2006

I'm declaring trying to learn Mandarin a disaster. My teacher, even at Taida, is horrendous and clueless. I'm not going to learn anything from this class or her. I'm going to learn just by studying on my own, which is not going to give me the practice I need implementing the language, which is the key to using it.

Returning to the U.S. has been on my mind for the past week as an absolute plan. I'm thinking of leaving in February, but that may be too soon. Maybe I should give Taida another semester's chance. I do have reason that my teacher is the exception in Taida, and that the rest of the teachers are better.

I'm thinking of leaving in May, I'm thinking of leaving in August. Yes, give notice on my apartment in February, find another place that I'm not allergic to with a six month lease, and if there are no improvements by August, leave.

Leave and go back to New Jersey. Set a time limit there, one month, two months, and then head out to Tucson with no plan other than the idea of finding a job and ignoring everything else in life. If that doesn't pan out, then I have no choice, enter the monastery. Entering the monastery because there are no other options is a perfectly valid reason for me. It may be the only reason for me.

The thing is, right now, I'm not going to be stressed about classes or failed language abilities, I'm not going to let that get to me, I'm not going to be negative about it. Break through that, damn it. I can sit in class and be miserable at the teacher. I won't. I can torment myself over homework and tests. I won't. This doesn't matter. I am me. It doesn't reflect on me or my being. It has nothing to do with my life.

I'm not going to do well in this class, just accept that. Maybe I'll leave in February, maybe I'll leave in May, maybe I'll leave in August. Maybe I won't have a choice in the matter.

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2:16 p.m. - National Palace Museum. Again. Seems like I was just there recently.
2:25 p.m. - Riding through the tunnel between Shilin and Neihu Districts, but staying safe on the pedestrian walkway.
2:50 p.m. - Minzu E. Rd. with the entrance of the recently-opened tunnel that runs underneath the airport runway at the right, connecting Fuxing N. Rd with Dajia Bridge to the north.