Thursday, November 26, 2009

I'm gonna have to chalk this one up to "just follow where the world takes me". Part of the perfect situation totally fell apart, and I just can't feel OK with how my suddenly disappearing would really mess things up for my co-workers. I know, how conveeeenient.

It's only for these co-workers that I'm gonna let the next date pass. It's certainly not for the paper or the unfathomable brain-deadedness of the management.

To recap, my co-copy editor gave notice a month and a half ago. That should've been a major alert for management to get on the ball and get someone in quick to fill the position and get trained. But for almost a month and a half, I'm looking over at management in disbelief as nothing happens and nothing's going on.

Then finally at the end of last week, I hear someone is coming in to try-out. The situation finally dawns on management and I hear this week that they're going to offer him the position, even without trying out. Then today, I hear this guy is not interested in even trying out (this is not an attractive position, despite upper management's delusion that "everyone wants to work for The China Post" – maybe when print journalism meant something).

They had a big meeting tonight, to which I was happily not asked to join. It would have been logical, but the one thing the manager has gotten right is to involve me as less as possible. They worked on who's going to fill in shifts next week after my co-copy editor – who was pulled into the meeting because he's a sucka a really nice, good person – leaves, without effecting my workload.

I'm probably going to let this next date pass, but I'm not standing down. I'm doing this out of mercy for my co-workers, but there is a tight limit on how much I'm going to "be responsible" for the management's fuck-ups. The timing is uncanny, though. God is a cat and I'm apparently a ball of yarn. And some other things to look into . . .


SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 8:46 p.m. - Last bunny day. Even in just a week they've grown so fast.
9:08 p.m. - Fiona ended up taking one of the bunnies.
10:19 p.m. - "(We) have a rabbit"