Sunday, September 07, 2014



RiSe of Ladies' Code has also died. I noted after EunB died that there was no indication of optimism that RiSe would make it. There were reports of a marathon surgery for a head injury that had to be abandoned because of dangerously low blood pressure (emphasis: not because the surgery was completed). There were also reports that she stopped breathing three times during the surgery. None of that looked good. Even if she did survive, there may have been the possibility of brain damage. They were working on a head trauma that was obviously very, very serious.

In a way, her death is less of a shock than EunB's was, though just as tragic. I usually go to K-pop news/rumor websites late at night, but I've been checking them whenever online these past few days, awaiting news. I was half expecting this.

It was a tragic accident. It just happens. We live, so we must die, and we don't know when, we don't know how. You compound the possibilities, the ifs, and try to work out ways that the accident doesn't happen. Then I think what if it happened to a group I wasn't so into. Not so much of an impact. That's certainly a lack of equanimity.

Most outlets are embedding the promotional videos for their songs. I prefer to choose performances I've noted enough to favorite. My homage to Ladies' Code:

Debut track "Bad Girl", spring 2013:

As I mentioned, this rookie performance caught my attention and made me a fan in just a couple weeks of promotion. It's the song that hooks me. I usually don't pay attention to performances of groups I don't know, but I have the audio in the background while I do something else. This song caused me to look up and pay attention. Truth to tell, I didn't note EunB during these performances (shoulder-length orange hair). Sojung, with her clarion voice, was the focus, as well as RiSe with her couples dance that I thought was impressive while singing.

"Pretty Pretty (Yeppo Yeppo)", autumn 2013: Also displaying Sojung's strong vocals from the start, this track made me notice EunB and wonder why I didn't notice her before. RiSe and Zuny split the self-referential first verse (the lyrics were specifically written for them with RiSe calling herself by name and Zuny referring to herself as the "maknae" of the group, the youngest member, which is apparently important in Korean culture), but EunB has the whole second verse for herself.

"So Wonderful", winter 2014:
Actually, I don't have a "favorite" performance of this. They're all good. Or rather the choreography is such that it didn't matter what the cameras were doing, key choreography was almost always caught. NB: Between the end of the first chorus and the start of the second verse is a two beat silent rest that the fan chant can be heard with "Yeppo Yeppo" from their previous release.

Their final performance, "Kiss Kiss", hours before the accident. They were driving back to Seoul from this performance: