Saturday, July 06, 2002

Not to confuse the point of history, it should be noted that Francis Scott Key wrote the poem which became the Star Spangled Banner during the War of 1812, in the Battle of Baltimore when we withstood the seige of Fort McHenry. I guess we associate it with the Revolutionary War because the spirit is the same.

Isn't it funny how I feel strange saying "we" in "we withstood the seige"? Taiwanese ancestry, parents immigrated in the late '60's. What right do I have to claim the history of this country? It doesn't matter that I was born and raised here. My country has historically killed people who look like me. From the Opium Wars, the Boxer Rebellion, to World War II, to Korea, to Vietnam, to Vincent Chin, to Jet Li's Once Upon a Time in China. If I were of European ancestry under the same circumstances, would I have any trouble saying "we"? Real funny, haha.