Tuesday, July 30, 2002

What are the chances of Americans actually learning from the events of last September? Actually, I have "learned" more about America's myopic, arrogant, and "narrow-minded" view of the rest of the world. I'm actually not being cynical for once. I'm not necessarily harshing on the American people either, mind you, more on the U.S., as a national entity, and its role and position on the international stage.

Anyway, I'm glad that article gives only a few sentences to the opposition. The church and state separation argument doesn't hold because the university isn't practicing religion by requiring first year students to read up on the Qu'ran to prepare for discussions. Also the topical nature of the subject and academic approach outweighs the religious content. The subject is September 11 and government policy and world understanding, it just happens that the subtext being chosen is Islam. The reference to "an 18-year-old little girl" is particularly condescending, but not unexpected from the religious right.

The Earlham College workshops sound interesting because the participants were seniors in high school last September. I wonder how difficult it will be to recreate their thinking pre-Sept. 11.

All I remember is that on September 10, I saw Modest Mouse at the Warfield, and while I was riding home, I passed a horrific car accident on Market St. An SUV was on its side, and I rode along wondering what happened to it, and got my answer more than a half block later in the next intersection where there was a taxi cab with it's front completely sheered off. It was a kind of "holy shit" sickening feeling, but nothing like the next morning.