Tuesday, July 30, 2002

RAAAARRRGGH!!!!!!! must . . . remember . . . sunburn . . . builds . . . character . . .

If there is a cycling version of limping, I'm sure I was doing it all the way home after work. I won't deny the effects of yesterday's ride, but I need to prove that it wasn't too much and that I can recover quickly. So tonight has been a healthy regimen of heat, Bengay (mm, mm, menthol, ultra strength ), knee brace, and stretching.

life lessons:
+ on long journeys, such as the big enchilada, make a point to take rests (and during those rests, you can let the under side of your arms tan, too. there's some metaphor in that, trust me.)
+ wear sunblock (be prepared or face the consequences of building character. although strangely, it doesn't sting so much where there are scars)
+ pace! Unless you're suicidal, it's not better to burn out than fade away. And even if you are, don't expect to finish a ride well off if you push it from the start. you'll bonk.

And as long as I broached the subject of Sept. 11:
Courtesy of Jahva's blog, go read.