Friday, January 20, 2006

I thought this was kind of cool. I took an online quiz yesterday on psychic abilities or something, just for fun. As opposed to the online quizzes I take totally seriously.

I took it knowing I have no psychic abilities. I took it with a healthy skepticism regarding "psychic abilities" in general. Still, I've had my share of seriously weird shit come down in my life. Shit that made me go, "whoa!" like Keanu Reeves, but things worth going "whoa!" about.

Anyway, as an observation, I noted the vagueness of the questions and how many were conditional and could go either way. So I did the quiz twice, once with all the answers going one way – the skeptical way, and once with all the answers going the other way, giving benefit of doubt to all the weird occurrences.

And there are problems with most of the questions. Such as "Have you ever experienced a premonition or dream of the future?". Compare that to "Have you ever experienced a premonition or dream of the future that actually came true?".

"Do bright lights bother you – car headlights, for example?" If they're shining directly into my eyes, yes. If they're off in the distance, no. "Would you say you've been lucky in your life so far?" In some ways, yes, in other ways, no. Who isn't like that?

Anyway, the results were predictable, but both times my "clairvoyance" rating was higher than the others. Did I take that to mean anything? No. Did I even know what that is? Not really. I closed the test without deeming it worthy of posting the results.

Then my alarm awoke me this morning at precisely 8:00 A.M. That's no problem. I have no problem waking up at 8 in the morning. Except my alarm was set to 9:00, and has been for the past six months, and nothing in the past 24 hours even suggested that I had changed, intentionally or accidentally, the alarm to 8:00 A.M.

Weird? Yes.

Explanation? No.

Very weird? Yes.

Significant? Skeptic: no. Weirdo: Someone is reminding me that things are not as they seem.

Do I care? Eh.

(I have two indicators of time in the morning, both set to do something at 9:00. One is the alarm, and the other is a light on a timer that turns off at 2:30, after a 2:00 bedtime as part of the "sleep as dying" practice. So when my alarm went off this morning (I turn it off without looking at the time since I know what time it is), I noticed something wrong when some time later, the light hadn't turned on.)

iTunes shuffled soundtrack:
1. Loner Getaway Car (764-HERO)
2. Your Gold Dress (Dukes of Stratosphear)
3. Overture/Audition ("42nd Street")
4. Grapefruit Moon (Tom Waits)
5. Evil Woman (Electric Light Orchestra)
6. The Show Must Go On (Queen)
7. Rhinosaur (Soundgarden)
8. Waterhole (Marillion)
9. Piano concerto No. 1, I. Allegro maestoso (Chopin)
10. Run (Supergrass)