Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Trying to steer clear of my negativity, which my surroundings and circumstances aren't helping, by keeping my mouth shut. I'm on the verge of completely losing it. And one can only keep hoping that I do.

Easing the torpor, perhaps, Liz says she'll send me a copy of her 2005 mix. That prompted me to look at what I've been listening to in 2005 to see if any of it was mix-worthy. Here's what I'm contemplating, in order:

1. New Killer Star (David Bowie) this song goes on my list of greatest album openers
2. Waupu Odabala (Betel Nuts compilation) Taiwanese/polynesian aboriginal music
3. Sambita (Kinky) several years old Mexican electronica/funk/rock/dance
4. Suspended from Class (Camera Obscura) not sure about this position
5. Katun no Sadame (Fate of Khatun) (Ichiko Hashimoto - RahXephon soundtrack)
6. Mushaboom (Feist) Leslie Feist makes me weak in the knees
7. The Wayback (Whysall Lane) their album is finally slated for release in February, and if this track is any indication, it will be as good as any Versus album.
8. Cassiopeia (Joanna Newsom) referred to by her. There is too little indie harp music out there. or too much.
9. King Without a Crown (Matisyahu) "What's this feeling/My love will burn a hole through the ceiling"
10. Blue Flow (Heart of Air - Haibane Renmei soundtrack, but not on the soundtrack CD)
11. Leaning Against the Wall (Evil Tordivel Upbeat Remake) (Kings of Convenience) any remake of a Kings of Convenience song is bound to be more upbeat.
12. Temptation of Egg (Giant Sand) also several years old
13. You're in a Bad Way (Saint Etienne) really old, not sure if this will stay
14. Yo Pitatalaen (Betel Nuts compilation)
15. Three Little Babes (Joanna Newsom)
16. Paths of Victory (Cat Power) Bob Dylan cover used in the film North Country.
17. Ue o Muite (Sunday Girls) Tasteful modern cover of my favorite Japanese oldie of all time. Actually it's the only Japanese "oldie" I know, popularly known as Sukiyaki, a title that reflects the racist norm of the time. It's foreign, it's Asian, but people seem to like it and so it needs a title, just use any whatever Oriental-sounding word.
18. A Man/Me/Then Jim (Rilo Kiley)
19. Goodnight Moon (Shivaree) from one of the Kill Bill movies.