Tuesday, January 10, 2006

minding this negative post:
It took me forever to complete a really poorly planned and conceived module for the online TEFL course, and now I'm rushing to catch up, hopefully completing two more modules by week's end. I'm going to try to just get this out of the way.

So far, it's been a waste and I can't say I'm getting a whole lot out of this course that I wouldn't have figured out or learned anyway. But I tell myself that the certification will be good to have just in case, since I've been out of work for several years and have no recorded background in teaching English.

I also found that there's a language school in Taipei, associated with one of the major universities, that has a quarter starting in March with an application deadline on January 31st. So just in case I decide to take that route to end up in Taipei, I've been gathering all the materials necessary. A pain, since it's all official and they want stuff that students in their 20's, who have more schooling to get done, go chasing after.

They want a health certificate and an HIV test result, which I won't be going through my family to get. My parents started getting pushy before about giving me a physical and a flu shot, and I got defensive and shut them down. Just because they have a doctor's office, doesn't mean they're my health care providers.

I was even offended that they made that presumption. It would be like going to a doctor and having any results sent to my parents even before I saw them. It's not their prerogative. And as far as I'm concerned it's none of their business.

I showed them defensive by making it as clear as non-verbally possible that they weren't going to be sticking any needles in me, but I understood that there was no need to show them my offense, so I kept that in check. I have no reason to believe they should understand something like that.

Bah, now I'm boring even myself.

current soundtrack:
1. Wait Until Five (764-HERO)
2. Scissor Man (XTC)
3. I Don't Need Anything But You ("Annie")
4. 11:59 (Blondie)
5. Straight, No Chaser (Thelonius Monk)
6. Icarus (Borne On Wings of Steel) (Kansas)
7. So What (Ani DiFranco)
8. Bring On the Night (live) (The Police)
9. Tux On (Marillion)
10. Gethsemane (Peter Gabriel)