Sunday, March 12, 2006

On this rainy day, I found the wireless hotspot at the Taipei Public library after a morning of failed connection at the Starbucks on the corner. I really scored with the location of my apartment. It turns out the library is also across the street from the park I live across the street from. It's even closer than school is, but in the opposite direction.

Why the library is in this location, I don't know. There's nothing around here that would draw attention to it as a public facility, no civic center, no city hall, no town center. The view of the park is great from the upper floors, and when the sun comes out again, if it ever comes out again, I'll get some more shots.

Last Sunday, I met a group of people in the park who were drumming – marching style, just snare drums. I ended up joining them, giving my traditional grip and paltry reading skills (that I didn't even know I had – I never learned to read drum music) a work out. Unfortunately, they turned out to be part of a political party – one that I don't like.

They invited me to join them at a protest rally today and I ended up saying yes, but when I got there, I just couldn't do it. It was the equivalent of ending up in the middle of a Republican or pro-life rally in the U.S. So I just left. I'll play with them in the park, but no politics. I'll tell them my family told me to stay away from Taiwan politics, which isn't far from the truth. My sister-in-law's family told me I was banned from going to the rally.

The good that came out of it was that after I left, I went on a photostroll and came across a music shop with rehearsal rooms with drums set up that you can rent for less than two bucks an hour. You just have to call a day in advance and reserve a room.

1:09 p.m. - Technology Building MRT station, brown line
1:28 p.m. - hints of something political I opted out of
5:45 p.m. - Xinyi Road looking west to Taipei 101 from Jianguo South Rd. Evidence of construction of what would become the Xinyi MRT line (right side, mid-frame).
 Pentax ZX-5n, Ilford XP2 Super film:
raw scan. Taipei 101 from Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall
raw scan. What an elevated MRT brown line station looks like from the ground.
iTunes soundtrack:
1. Waydown (Modest Mouse)
2. Runaway (Marillion)
3. Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist (live) (Genesis)
4. Land of Confusion (live) (Genesis)
5. A Soapbox Opera (live) (Supertramp)
6. Symphony No. 39, II. Andante con moto (Mozart)
7. The Negotiation Limerick File (The Beastie Boys)
8. Miss Gradenko (The Police)
9. Lifted Bells (June of 44)
10. Wrong (Archers of Loaf)