Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I was thinking of posting how even more unglamorous my life is...

...like, eating a fruit crepe alone in Shida Park in the dark. Calling it a "park" is a stretch.

That was several days ago, actually a fruit crepe is sounding not so bad right now.

Is there anything more unglamorous than being so bored with your life that eating is an inconvenient hassle?

Life is mellow at Taida, even though I'm spending far too much time procrastinating. I'm OK for now since Taida put me back 5 chapters, so the material is a breeze. I'm just afraid of when we catch up to where I was, because my teacher, although sweet, is not a very good teacher.

From what I can tell, she's not teaching anything. So when we get to the chapter that I need to be taught, I'm probably going to be in trouble. She's really inexperienced, and Etsuko says it's just a part-time job for her, filling in for a regular teacher who couldn't make it this semester. She doesn't want to be a career Chinese teacher.

I don't understand half of what she's saying, so she isn't making any effort to cater her vocabulary and grammar to our level of understanding. Further proof of this is that I've already studied the next 5 chapters, and I know she's using vocabulary and grammar from future chapters.

I like her personally, but unlike Shida teachers, who were confident in their ineffectiveness, she isn't and is flying by the seat of her pants.

I think I'm almost ready to go back to the U.S.

5:07 p.m.