Monday, December 11, 2006

My first real social interaction at Taida. So different from Shida. I feel like how I approached my social situation at Shida was all a mistake and I don't want to replicate those mistakes, but that was just 9 months ago. I'm not that different now as I was then. At my age, the learning curve is slight.

But meeting up with my classmate Etsuko and a friend she made where she lives, Sachiko, was so completely different from Shida. I think at Shida, too much effort went into forming an inclusive social clique. We went so far as to include our teacher. That kind of chaotic social interaction with so many personalities and backgrounds couldn't possibly come out with anything solid or meaningful.

With Etsuko and Sachiko, it was just us getting to know one another directly. But something else is different, too. Maybe not. What if just Hyun Ae, Pierre and I started hanging out with one another? It may have been similar. Hyun Ae still would have her personality...quirks, but at this point I don't know what "quirks" Etsuko and Sachiko are neurotic about.

Hyun Ae and I should have kept our distance. Her behavior while having a boyfriend was really inappropriate. With Etsuko and Sachiko, I'm not making any effort to "get closer", to find some connection, I'm keeping a distance, maybe as a result of Hyun Ae; lesson learned. That's good.

My whole feeling at Taida is different. Probably because it's on a real college campus. I go to school and I'm on this beautiful campus, and I feel relaxed. At Shida, once you're out of the building and go out the gates, you're on city streets.

My mother called. They just got back from a trip to Africa. I notice that she keeps saying at the end of the calls, "As long as you're happy, you can do whatever you want". I notice that she never asks whether I'm happy or not.

This is just an observation. I wouldn't want her to ask, and I doubt I would respond honestly even if she did.