Friday, May 02, 2003

Someone wrote about Leslie Cheung:
To take one's own life, one must feel so helpless to the point that he/she believes there is absolutely no solution to their problem, or that they cannot accept the reality of a situation. The only answer is to die. Everyone is probably asking, why?

This weblog is poorly named. Yes, blogging is a temporary "solution", but any suggestion that what is "permanent" is a problem is . . . problematic. I don't know why I have this compulsion to try to explain this ad nauseum, but the social bias against suicide is so institutionalized that maybe it's given me a complex about it.

It's even harder because I don't condone suicide as a solution to any problem. I can write until I'm blue in the face what it's about regarding me, but never would I take the issue lightly regarding anyone else.

The thing is that I don't automatically condemn it either. You give me a good enough reason why you're going to do it, and you have my blessing. I'll give you a long hug, I'll tell you that I'll always remember you, I might even cry because of what it means, but I won't try to stop you.

Mind you, depression and emotional extremes do not pass my criteria of what's a "good enough reason". Hm, actually I don't know what a good enough reason is (aside from my own, of course). I think a good enough reason is the state reached when you've talked my ears off until the break of dawn about it, and the final conclusion is that there is no reason.

If you're doing it for a reason, that's not good enough of a reason.