Thursday, May 01, 2003

Yack! It's May. June. July. August. Why I always need these finite periods of time in my mind is beyond me. What can I fit into three and a half months. What do I need to fit into three and a half months? 

Holy cow! I just remembered that I dreamed about the final episodes of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"! The last three episodes of the series are supposed to air in May. I forget now if I was writing it, living it, or if I was Buffy! *sigh* I don't remember most of it, but it was pretty fucking brilliant. I don't remember the fight scenes, of which there was at least one, and I don't remember what role Faith had in it. I do remember the apocalypse and how Buffy saves the world from it. 

In general, I've been pretty disappointed by the apocalypses on Buffy. They just haven't been very impressive. In my dream, the apocalypse comes with Caleb becoming pure evil, pure unstoppable darkness. Caleb is already too much for Buffy to handle, and in my dream he harnesses the evil of The First and grows as darkness and utter destruction befalls Sunnydale. Dark clouds and locusts, Sunnydale is consumed in darkness, everyone is killed. The last people alive are Willow, mortally injured, and Buffy. Buffy recites some small speech to Willow, determined to take this thing on once and for all, and runs into the darkness to fight it. Willow watches Buffy vanish and then dies. 

Buffy runs into the darkness, and I'm not sure how the art department and special effects would envision it, but it's an ordeal of a journey. Flashes of her life, of her friends' lives, of Sunnydale life, of all sorts of various components of life, growing in global scope come and go, they are increasingly brutal showing humanity's true evil potential. Then suddenly, Buffy is in darkness, the darkness is evil and she's ready to fight it, but there's nothing to fight. She hears a baby cry. The baby is supposed to represent light and hope, all that is needed to fight against evil. In the darkness she finds the baby and picks it up and carries it, moving forward into she does not know what. 

As she continues, she spots a pinpoint of light and heads towards it. It's a long journey, but eventually the pinpoint grows and becomes brighter. In my dream, she ends up in a movie theater of a college, an educational institution, and the light she saw is from the film that was showing on the screen. I forget what was on the screen, but I think it was significant. Buffy finds herself in the theater and finds her way out. Outside in the hall, she runs into Willow, now a university professor. Years have passed. 

In fact, Willow explains, they are now standing in Buffy Summers Hall of UC Summersdale, which Xander designed and built after the averted apocalypse. Whatever Buffy did however many years ago worked. Willow didn't die after she saw Buffy disappear into the darkness. After Buffy disappeared, the darkness was broken and eventually swallowed itself up until Sunnydale, albeit devastated, was saved and all the people survived. Hellmouth closed and having recovered and the story told, the citizens decided to rename the town from Sunnydale to Summersdale (I, too, in the bright sunlight of day, would not have voted for "Buffyville", given the opportunity)

The rest of the dream was me back in college, having thought of all this, needing to get it all down. However it was me now, being back at an imaginary Oberlin College now. The difference is in the technology. And I was more than a student, like a senior student because of my age. All I remember is that there were no computers allowed in students' rooms, because that was anti-social. Laptops were fine because they were portable, but no PC's. You had to go to a computing center to use a PC.