Sunday, July 09, 2006

home scan vs. CD-R

New development. Literally, well not actually. I've been shooting chromogenic black & white film for the convenience of being able to have rolls C-41 color processed at any commercial photo developer. I always ask them to develop the film and to not cut the negatives. I would then go home and cut them myself to fit my scanner tray and then scan them myself.

I learned that they could scan them themselves and put the digital images on a CD-R for me, so I tried it out. Results are mixed. When I scan negatives, I always leave some edge around the photo to emphasize the containment of the real-life scene. If there is no edge in my photos, then it's cropped and not the full frame. The photo shop's scans crop photos however they normally do, it's possibly automatic. Quality also varies. Their scanner is generally sharper, but tone quality is hit or miss. The images also are scanned with either a blue or sepia hue, which is necessary on their part, and I have to remove it myself.

Pentax ZX-5n, Kodak BW400CN:
Climbing Bailusishan (Egret Mt.) next to Dahu Lake in northeast Neihu District. Scan.

From Bailusishan looking down at the construction of the MRT brown line extension. CD-R 
MRT brown line construction on Chenggong Rd, section 5. Scan.
Dahu Lake. 'Hu' means lake, so I'm redundantly repeating myself. It just feels awkward calling it Da Lake, which is meaningless in English or calling it that to a local. Scan.
CD-R
Shuixiegetai (Otter Pavilion). Scan.
Moon Bridge. CD-R, with some tint of chroma left, by accident no doubt. Oh, all of the above CD-R scans have chroma residue. The ones below were corrected at a different time (and different program) and have all color removed.
Dahu Lake, Otter Pavilion and MRT construction. CD-R
Moon Bridge and MRT construction. CD-R



5:21 p.m. - probably on Bailusishan. It's the character for the Buddha.
6:01 p.m. - color versions
6:10 p.m.