Friday, October 17, 2003

I talked to my parents last night, and I mentioned I'm quitting my job. It has been an unwritten rule of our "cease-fire" that they are not allowed to exert pressure, coerce, or manipulate any aspect of my life, so it was with unease that I heard them saying that I shouldn't quit my job until I had another one lined up. It was thin ice they were on when they said they didn't want to see me looking for a job again for a year like before.

In the end, I recalled the other half of that cease-fire rule, that I am not to allow them to exert pressure, coerce, or manipulate any aspect of my life. And this should all be amusing as I have been unemployed for eight months already. So when I visit them next month to return their car, I can either tell them I quit, or continue keeping them in the dark. It doesn't materially matter, they're not active participants in my life and I don't care either way. But if there's an issue of who's in control, then I should tell them just to remind them.

This is really a very minor consideration on my mind.