Sunday, October 12, 2003

Suicide note response #14, edited for grammar, spelling, and flow:

Date: 2003-09-25, 11:49AM

Bro:
COWBOY THE FUCK UP !!!!
You are not the only soul that lives in pain. Shit, I am 34. I lost one woman I loved to an aneurysm. I did $1400 damage to my new car a couple weeks ago. I gained 40 pounds because I let myself get depressed and torn up over a woman who is now in love with someone else, and I fell in love with the same woman that gave me an STD and then dumped me by my finding her on Match looking for someone new. And I cannot blame her because my attitude was much like yours. I am almost bankrupt for the 2nd time in my young life. Do not punch out early. As shitty as it can get , there has to be a reason why you are here and you have to believe that. Think about it. You are not meant to end your own life, short of a horrible situation (like those poor souls who jumped on 9-11, rather than burn) you need to step back and realize that something has to be good in your life. As a person that battles that mother fucker known as depression almost daily, you gotta fight it man. Fuck, not to be a smart-ass, but did you see Beetlejuice? You want to be a civil servant forever in the next life? Or what if you are sent to Hell and your hell is to live forever in the life you have now? Buy a puppy. You will never be alone and they will love you unconditionally. I think you should rethink what you are planning and this is coming from someone who has a .44 with no bullets because I get that same feeling when I get truly down. But I won't do it because I am a fighter and you have inside of you, too. Please bro . . . I feel your pain and I know it, but I believe you can fight back, too. Just try.
Hell, email me if you want to, I would rather give you a hand trying than let you go.
Hang tough, bro, please!!!!!


This response isn’t as offensive as it seems at first blush, it looks like that’s just his style. It’s a “tough love” approach, but it’s not condescending. He puts himself on the level and describes that he’s no “winner” in life. He battles depression and has suicidal thoughts, but has a clear idea what his opinions are and has his own approach to his problems. All good.

I also think that this guy is compassionate, and if the Craig’s List guy did commit suicide, this response writer wouldn’t condemn him. He’d feel sorry for the guy and think it was a mistake, but that’s his informed opinion. That's just my uninformed impression.

I personally don’t like the “I can do it, so so should you” undertones, but here it sounds more imploring than moralizing or condescending. This is a response that I would take into consideration. It ultimately wouldn’t change my mind, but I would want to consider these things and run them through my mind before doing anything.