Sunday, May 30, 2004

I dislike the paradigm implied in the phrase "taking one's life". It implies the selfishness that so many suicides are accused of, and the accusation of selfishness is so hypocritical. It's pretty selfish of people to want people not to commit suicide just so that they don't have to go through the pain, or so that they can still benefit from their presence.

Oh. It's not for themselves, but for all the other people in their lives? Well, nice of you to feel so philanthropic.

The truth of the matter is that suicide is more a giving away of one's life. We don't want it, we're letting it go. If I don't want a shirt, I don't take it, I don't rip it up so no one else can have it, I give it away. Try it on for size. Next time you're referring to a suicide, say that they gave away their life. You probably won't do that because it sounds too good.

This is not to suggest that most suicides aren't selfish and ill-considered. Most are.