Friday, May 07, 2004

Identity Inventory
- I was born in a crossfire hurricane Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- I grew up in this town, New Jersey.
- I hated my parents until August 1996.
- I fought with my two older brothers constantly while growing up.
- Growing up, I followed my brothers' and their friends' lead and was into building plastic model kits of World War II aircraft and ships. People look at me funny when I can identify WWII aircraft.
- I think those same people got me into Astronomy. People ignore me when I muse what's going on in the night sky.
- I went to Oberlin College (studied East Asian religion and history).
- I have a law degree and a Masters of Law, neither of which I use.
- I used to be a runner, starting when I was 13 and stopping because of knee injury.
- I've been road cycling for 3 years, and I'm just starting mountain biking.
- I used to be a musician (rock). Bass, drums, guitar, and working knowledge of piano. I played string bass in pit orchestra and orchestra in high school. I was in a steel drum band in college.
- Music is the most important thing in life and most central to my identity, and I quit it. I was never really any good at it. But anyone who doesn't think of me as a musician may as well not know me (that's just about everybody now).
- I am philosophically suicidal. I won't know if I'm practically suicidal until I actually do it.
- Committing suicide is always in my future plans.
- Having it always planned in the future keeps me from doing it right now.
- I use suicide gestures to maintain an appreciation for life (although not living, obviously).
- I used to be a cutter, starting when I was 12 and stopping last year.
- I continued cutting even after the "need" was gone because it had become habit. I stopped because I got bored with it.
- I was suspended from high school (one week) and college (one semester) for cutting.
- I was committed twice during that semester.
- If you want to see me do it, just give me a razor. It's no big deal.
- Showing my scars is an act of intimacy.
- I may have been alcoholic, depending on definition. I cut way back last year because I got bored with being drunk all the time.
- List of all the women I've gone out with in reverse order: Josephine, Shiho, Joy, Amina, Luyen, Hiromi, Sakuko, Liz, Darcy, Sarah, Amanda, Nancy.
- Shiho should show up two other times in that list.
- Shiho is as close to a "high school sweetheart" as I had.
- Amanda has a famous older sister who won an Academy Award for best supporting actress in a Woody Allen film.
- I don't know who I lost my virginity to, it depends on how you define "sex" (yay Bill!).
- I got caught in bed with two of those girls by their parents (<- my deepest and darkest secret, this is my first ever disclosure of it and only casual sex and alcohol or drugs could get me to say any more about those incidents).
- List of all the men I've gone out with: ... ok, so I have no gay cred. Sue me.
- I don't do drugs, but I think I would be much better adjusted if I had done more drugs.
- My first of very few drug experiences was shrooms when I was a senior in high school. That night, I dove into a lit fireplace, apparently spoke in fluent Japanese, and people were afraid I was going to jump out a window.
- I took the shrooms because I was writing a paper on narcotics for Psychology class and felt like a hypocrite never having taken anything before.
- I feel I've wasted 10 years of my life in San Francisco.