Saturday, August 10, 2002

It was a hot day today. Maybe hotter than any other day this season. I headed off in the evening to get a ticket for Sleater-Kinney/Shannon Wright at the Fillmore. It was gorgeous. Glorious.

I so very rarely get on my bike and ride casually, but the warm air was just so relaxing. People were hanging out on sidewalks, apartment windows were open, you could see into apartments, hear music blaring out of windows. There's an openness to warm weather.

Days like this are rare. Usually the fog rolls in and it's chilly and cold. People scurry and hurry from one place to the next. When they get home they go inside and shut their doors and their windows. Shut themselves in, shut you out.

On the other hand, I fear I'm acclimating to this city. I ride my bike everywhere, when I ride, I heat up. In another city, it might be too hot to ride. In this city, it's perfect. Even if it's chilly, I warm up comfortably when I ride.

In another city, winters are too cold. Here, it's perfect unless it's raining. I need to get out of this city. I don't want to be condemned to living in a city perfect for my lifestyle that doesn't have the four distinct seasons I'm used to and love.